Thursday, August 20, 2009

Busy week!!

I went back up to Blue Hill Farm for a couple of lessons with Missy before she leaves for Burghley later in the week. Go, Missy!! Go, B.G.!! Run fast, jump high (not in dressage, please) and most of all, be SAFE!!

Missy had a lot of helpful advice me on Fourth Level, Test 1 which I will be riding in a few weeks at PVDA's show at Loch Moy. This is a wonderful test--it flows nicely and highlights many of Baronessa's strengths. You can see the movements required here: http://www.usef.org/documents/disciplines/dressage/tests/abridged/Fourth%201.pdf

If Nessie is being her usual self, I will enter in left lead canter. She tends to travel straighter in this direction. I will remember to put her in a very collected canter before the halt at X. Since she will just have cantered into the halt, I need to be clear that I want a trot in the move-off after X. For the medium trot across the diagonal with 6-7 steps of collected trot centered over X, I need to start the movement deep in the corner. To keep her soft for the collected trot steps, I will slightly flex her jaw and resume the medium trot. Again, I will go deep into the corner so I can make the turn slightly early at A to start the half pass right. Fortunately, this is our better direction and the natural attraction of the wall should help things along! Finish the half pass before B so I have a couple of strides of shoulder in to start the half pass left. This is our more difficult direction, but we have done it well in practice so we can do it! The half pass finishes on the center line at G, so there is time to straighten the bend and go deep into the corner for the extended trot across the diagonal.

This next sequence proves mmore difficult to ride then it appears on paper. Probably because Ness, in general, would prefer not to bend left and my not-working left leg doesn't help matters one bit! After the extended trot, we come around the short side and I need to go deep into the corner and establish the best left bend we can muster. The left shoulder in goes halfway down the long side and then we turn left and halt at X. Ness only did this one time before she knew the halt was coming and she just petered out before X and did a lousy halt through the walk. So, I need to ride really forward to X (can I fool her into thinking there is no halt there, after all??) to get a square halt, which will make the rein back straight and smooth. Rein back 4 strides and prepare to turn right and shoulder in right the rest of the long side. Walk at C (not halt, which is what Ness thinks ought to be the next movement!!) and begin the walk pirouette sequence. Turn right, piro right, piro left. I don't have too much to say about the walk piros except this is not a highlight of ours and my goal will be to keep her forward and active. Right before the piro left might be a good time to switch my whip to the right hand for the canter sequence coming up and also to back up my outside leg for the piro left.

Extended walk across the short diagonal and a chance to catch our breath before the canter tour. We have been working super hard on the collected canter, keeping Ness' poll up, and active behind. We can do it!!! Right lead canter in the corner, taking care not to let her swing her haunches to the inside, and straight up the center line and half pass right. This movement should be another highlight--we are doing incredibly well on this! I was surprised when practicing this test with Missy that Ness was resisting changing to the left lead in the corner. I need to really sit up and back and keep Ness on her hind legs for the counter canter sequence and back up the change aids with the whip if necessary.

The next movement is either going to be a highlight or a real bummer as it is a double coeff. I need to pick up a slightly more forward canter to show the difference in the VERY collected canter ridden from quarterline to quarterline. I will take care to not get a downward transition or the bunny hop canter Ness sometimes does. From there we get to do a medium canter, which should freshen things up a bit before the half pass left, which is our more difficult way. Flying change right in the corner to the extended canter down the next long side. Deep into both corners to get our wits about us before the flying change sequence on the two short diagonals. Whew! We are almost done!! Trot at C, turn at R and halt salute at G.

I mentally rehearse this test a lot. Sounds a little nutty, but in my mind, I ride through any potential problems and I always fix them!!

Flyball is getting very interesting and exciting now that we practice with the team on Saturday nights. Abbey continues to excel and is having the time of her life. I cannot use a flash which makes it difficult to get a good quality picture but here is one from last Saturday. We are practicing with another team in Fredericksburg, VA on Sunday and I cannot wait to see how Abbey reacts to racing different dogs and a strange location. It should be a good insight into how things will go if we are able to compete in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment