Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Better every day!

Since the main purpose of my blog was to help me remember all of the things I'm learning riding on my own as well as in the lessons I am taking, I have been remiss in my documentation. Before my addled brain forgets it all, here are some things that are helping me, especially with the elusive half-passes.

1) Small circles in trot, but especially in canter, to help collect and re-balance. (Jessica)

2) In half-pass, lean a little in the direction I am going. Do not take my eye off the letter I am traveling to. (Jessica)

3) When beginning a half-pass that will travel from the center-line to the wall, make sure to turn with the outside aids and begin with a shoulder-in. Take care not to let the haunches lead. (Missy)

4) Tap, tap, tap with the whip to remind Ness to bring haunches over--do not wait to tap with the whip until it has all fallen apart. (Missy)

5) Leaning doesn't look so great in the half-pass so try lowering my inside shoulder. (Kerstin)

6) When asking for the flying change, lift a tiny bit on the new outside rein. This is probably the most meaningful and effective thing anyone has ever said to me in relation to getting straight, quiet changes!! Seriously, try it! (Bent)

Still aiming to show Fourth Level, Test 1 at the Loch Moy show September 5th. Got a lot of work to do!!!

On to Flyball. Having "graduated" from the regular classes, we are now practicing with the team! We had our first practice last Saturday and Abbey was a super-star! The combination of working on her swimmer's turn on the chute as well as the regular flyball thingy-mabob that releases the ball in competition, has really helped. Abbey is uber-fast when racing other dogs and seems to know to pair the command, "hold it"with hanging onto the ball until she reaches me. String cheese is a great motivator, and hey, I get hungry, too, during the lengthy classes. I much prefer cheese to the dried liver treats.

MUST GET PICTURES OF FLYBALL.

No comments:

Post a Comment